While one jewelry color might look stunning on one person, it might not have the same effect on another person. Similarly, a certain color may look good with a specific outfit but clash with another.
To choose the right jewelry color for you, there are four factors to consider: your skin tone, your eye color, your clothing, and your other jewelry.
- Skin Tone
There are three kinds of skin tones: warm, cool, and neutral. To determine which kind of skin tone you have, look at your veins. Green veins indicate a warm skin tone. Blue and purple veins indicate a cool skin tone. A combination of blue and green veins indicate a neutral skin tone.
Keep in mind that skin tone isn’t the same as skin color. You can have dark skin with a cool tone or light skin with a warm tone.
Once you determine your skin tone, use it to choose the right color jewelry for you:
- Warm tone. Earthy colors like orange, green, brown, and yellow all work well with warm-toned skin. Look for jewelry with moonstones, emeralds, or yellow sapphires. Copper, yellow gold, and brass are good metal choices for warm-toned skin.
- Cool tone. Blue, red, and purple all look striking on cool-toned skin. Try jewelry with sapphires, amethysts, or rubies. Also consider silver, platinum, and white gold pieces.
- Neutral tone. People with a neutral skin tone have the option of trying out a variety of jewelry colors to determine which looks best.
When it comes to choosing jewelry color, skin tone is an important consideration—but it shouldn’t be the only consideration.
- Eye Color
Why not choose a jewelry color that brings out the color of your eyes? On the one hand, you could choose a jewelry color that’s complementary to your eye color. On the other hand, you could choose to contrast your jewelry color with your eye color. Both options highlight and enhance the beauty of your eyes, which many people consider their best facial feature.
As with skin tone, the right jewelry color depends on your eye color:
- Brown eyes. To choose jewelry that aligns with your eye color, wear red gemstones such as rubies. To contrast your jewelry with your eye color, wear blue gemstones such as sapphires.
- Hazel and green eyes. To bring out the green in your eyes, try green gemstones like jade, emerald, and peridot.
- Blue eyes. Match your jewelry to your eye color with blue gemstones like topaz. Contrast the blue in your eyes with a jewelry color like pink sapphire.
Your jewelry doesn’t have to match or contrast your eyes in order to be fashionable. But choosing jewelry that works with your eyes is a simple and subtle way to enhance your overall appearance.
The color of your jewelry should incorporate well with the colors of your clothing. However, this doesn’t mean you must choose a jewelry color that’s the same color as your clothing. A blue necklace against a blue shirt can be boring and unflattering.
Instead, consider using your jewelry as a pop of color. For example, you could choose jewelry that matches the color of your shoes rather than the color of your shirt.
If you’re wearing a neutral color like black, a brightly colored jewelry piece can brighten your look. But choose simple, plain jewelry if you’re wearing a blouse or dress with various colors, patterns, or embellishments. In this case, adding colorful, expressive jewelry would complicate the outfit and make it look too busy.
- Other Jewelry
When it comes to color, it’s important to be consistent with all your jewelry pieces. You’ll want to choose colors that work well together. For example, wearing a deep blue necklace with bright yellow earrings can be jarring.
Choose one piece of jewelry as the centerpiece of your outfit, and build your other jewelry pieces around it. While the various jewelry pieces don’t need to be the exact same color, they should complement each other.
Good color pairings include:
- Blue and orange
- Brown and orange
- Green and yellow
- Purple and blue
- Red and blue
Some jewelry colors work with just about any other jewelry color. These colors include silver, gold, and white (such as pearls).
In the past, pairing silver and gold was a fashion faux pas. However, mixing metal colors is now considered acceptable and even trendy. Fashion experts recommend stacking different layers of metal colors, giving equal attention to each color.
Take these considerations into mind before choosing your jewelry colors. Your best option is to purchase many different jewelry pieces in a variety of colors. That way, you have the flexibility to mix and match.
A great place to find unique jewelry pieces in many different colors is Sol’s Jewelry and Loan. We offer dozens of one-of-a-kind rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings. Come visit us today.